Many present day Nigerians may find it difficult to believe that Ndikelionwu attained the status of a kingdom at the peak of its power in the 19th century, the influence of its kings stretching from Ndi eni asaa in the present Orumba North LGA to the banks of the River Niger at Onitsha, cutting across much of Anambra State. Referred to at various times as Umuchukwu, Ndikelionwu, Aro Ndikelionwu, Ndikelionwu, Ndikelionwu or Ndike (for brevity), Ndikelionwu was founded by Ikelionwu Ufere.
Ikelionwu Ufere came to what later became Ndikelionwu from Ibom in Arochukwu. He was to establish a base outside Arochukwu for the trade in slaves.
Ikelionwu probably established Ndikelionwu in the first half of the 18th century, i.e. between 1701 and 1750. Ndikelionwu can be found in Ekwulobia-Umunze road. The community is made up of eleven (11) villages: Eziokwe, Umudim, Aro ogwe, Ezinkwo, Obinikpa, Arunota/Okpunihite, Umuochu, Ndikpa, Obunagu, Ndinwedo/Ndiuvere, Amagu/Eziagu.
On Saturday 29 December 2007, the mandatory annual general meeting of Ndikelionwu Welfare Association adopted with acclamation the nomination of Professor Chukwuemeka Ike, O.F.R., as the traditional ruler of Ndikelionwu. On 15 May, 2008, Professor Ike was formally presented to the Government of Anambra State through Orumba North LGA, Ajalli, as the Eze-Elect of Ndikelionwu, in accordance with the provision of the law and he is till-date the Eze, His Royal Majesty Eze Prof. C.C Ike, Ikelionwu XI.
Ndiokolo was founded by a slave merchant called Mazi Okoromesi from Atani in Arochukwu of the present Abia State of Nigeria in the first half of the 18th century. The name of the town changed in about 1895 from Okoromesi to Aro Ndiokolo or Ndiokolo (for brevity), probably to reflect the dominant role played by Okoromesi to establish and consolidate the settlement.
He first settled at Ezeanuna Ugbaja of Ogboji in Orumba South L.G.A and later transferred to Aguluezechukwu in Aguata L.G.A both in Anambra State of Nigeria. Due to lack of space for expansion, he finally found a better space to accommodate his people and relocated to her present site in Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State.
Ndiokolo is made up of four major villages namely in order of seniority: – Uhuana, Anumkpu, Obinetiti and Obinikpa. During the introduction of the indirect rule by Lord Fredrick Lugard, Ndiokolo was among the first autonomous communities on the Niger to produce Chief Mazi Okeke Nzere as her paramount Chief. He died in 1928.
Other successive traditional rulers of the town include:
HRH Eze Paul Adimora Okeke, 1977 – 1983
HRH Eze Joseph Okoli, 1985 – 1993
HRH Eze Charles Chima Okoli (Ezedioramma), 1995 till date
The current President General of Ndiokolo is Chief Hyginus Aniche alias Echebiridike. Ndiokolo people are predominantly farmers. They produce yams, rice, cassava, okro, plantain, oranges and vegetables in large quantities but have no access road to transport them to bigger markets for sale.
It has a primary school, three churches, a primary health centre, a town hall, a market and two functional bore-holes. Their children travel up to five kilometers to receive post-primary education from neighbour communities of Ogboji or Ajalli.
Brief history of Ndiowu, Ndiukwuanu, Ndiokpalaeze and Ndiokpalaeke in the next edition.